Wednesday 4 February 2015

An Autobiographical Incident: The Surprise Gift



The Surprise Gift

I will never forget the day when I got my first Smartphone. I’d been wondering what I’d get for my birthday from Mom and Dad, since my birthday was just around the corner. Then one day, Dad said, “Cade we’re going to buy you your birthday gift we’ll be back soon.” I tried to probe as to where they were going and whether I could come too. I was a little shocked that I was getting my gift so soon, because it was a week to my birthday.

While they had gone to buy me my gift, I was sitting and wondering where they might have gone and what they might be buying; and I had some really weird ideas too,  like – a horse or a bike, a new laptop, a new cycle ( I really thought it would be a new cycle) or a PS4. Anyway, I had some school work to finish, so I went to my laptop and started doing it. However, I couldn’t concentrate as my mind kept wandering off about what I’d get and how long they would take to come back with the gift. I was getting a little dizzy so I got up and went to the balcony for a few minutes. It was a cool, clear day. The sun was out and the main road was buzzing as usual, with its cars zipping about and the sound of the frustrated people constantly honking due to some silly reason.  After five minutes, I went back to my work and finished it quickly.

After I finished my work, I called dad to ask him whether he had reached. He said that he had but, he’d take a little while to come back. I was bored so I switched on the T.V. and started watching a movie. I was halfway in when the doorbell rang. I switched off the T.V. and bolted for the door! When I opened the door, I found Mom, Dad and Seth holding a white plastic Samsung Mobile bag! It was quite cold in the corridor, but I didn’t feel it. I peeked inside the bag to see a few papers and a box wrapped in green wrapping paper. As soon as I saw that, I knew what was inside the box, I quickly opened it and found an enormous, glistening white brand new Samsung Smartphone. I was stunned that Mom and Dad had bought me a Smartphone.  Mom said it was insured for 7 years and that I would have to charge it for 8 hours before I could use it.

After that, we headed to Decathlon the local sports shop. Mom, Dad and Seth were scouring the aisles. However, I was in no mood to shop. No, I was thinking of going back home and checking out all the cool features my phone had to offer.  I found it interesting that in our current world of few surprises, that I could still be blown away by something.



 By: Cade Manuel 

 

4 comments:

  1. Good job Cade! Using imagery and inserting a quote really gives your writing an edge.😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool post Cade! What a lovely surprise! Hope you are enjoying your new smartphone.

    ReplyDelete